Thursday, October 21, 2010

MultiCam Camouflage: the Desert Test

This article will be rather short on words but long on pictures. My wife and I went out into the Southwestern desert this morning to take some pictures of me decked out in Atlanco (Tru-Spec brand name) MultiCam from boonie hat to jacket and pants.

We took about 86 pictures: two each of me with my head down behind the MultiCam bonnie hat to hide my un-camouflaged face from the camera and two each of me in the exact same position looking at the camera so viewers could see my face.

Relax; I'm only going to show you six of the best pictures here. Three in which it will be hard to spot me and three of me in the same spot but with my face showing so you'll know where to look when you go back to look at the first picture again.
Double Click on a picture to enlarge it.



Keep in mind that although your viewing is hampered by having to look at an image on a computer screen you also have the advantage of knowing there's a person in the picture so eventually you'll spot me because you know to keep looking. Now imagine you're walking along a trail with no idea where to look. Ayup! You could easily walk right by a whole platoon, wearing MultiCam, hiding in the bushes or even in knee high grass.



Although it's hard to judge from the images, all pictures were taken from within pistol shot range, 50 yards, (which amounts to close range for a rifle) and a few well within easy pistol range.


Also when in sunlight black (as in black rifles) tends to stand out against a lighter background.



I know of no camouflage that can help you remain hidden when you're backlit in an open area. The contrast between the lighter sunlit area and the shaded side of you creates an instant silhouette.



As with all camouflage just about everything's easier to hide in shadow so I'm not including the pictures of me in shadows since I'm invisible in them even to me and I know where I was standing when the picture was taken. Suffice to say if you're forced to hide wearing non-camouflage clothing (hopefully browns, grays or dark tans) shadows are a good place to do it.



As my own mini adventures and the searches of the Spanish Peaks area documented in Incident At Big Sky have shown once you've eliminated white and/or bright clothing from the equation remaining still is the key to not being noticed.

To Comment on this article E-Mail Me Unless you specifically ask me not to, I'll post your reply here in the blog so everyone can read it. Of course I'll remove your last name, email address and any other specific information for privacy purposes.